The main asset of a relationship is often the house where the family lives which may or may not be in joint names, often subject to a mortgage. If one of you is to leave the home - even for a period of "trial separation" - you will want to know:
• Who will pay the mortgage?
• Will the house have to be sold? If so, when?
• Will one of you have to pay maintenance to the other to ensure the expenses of both are covered?
• Will you become entitled to any Social Security Benefits?
• How do you make the arrangements legally binding?
• We can advise you on all aspects of the separation, including property rights, interim maintenance and longer-term separation agreements.